Friday, August 1, 2014

The reason I became a Mom



"First comes love
Then comes marriage
Then comes the baby in the baby carriage"

That's what you're supposed to do right?

That's not the reason I became a mom. Come to think of it, there's no one reason why I wanted to be a mom. It's not like I sat around one day thinking life could get better, let's make a baby! No. Not for me anyway. Here's my story on why I became a mom. 

For as long as I can remember, when I was a little girl I played with dolls, played "house", and in every single play session there was a mom for the baby. Of course there was a mom! I grew up in a very stable, functional, loving family and always knew that one day I would have babies and become a mom. It wasn't forced on me, it just seemed like the natural thing to do. 

As I got older and knew that Jorge and I were going to get married, early on in the relationship I had to know that he wanted a family. He said yes and that's all I needed to know at the time. 

In college I would doodle on some notebook pages my "timeline" of when I wanted to get engaged, get married, buy a house, and then have a baby. It was all mapped out. Simple right?

In reality, it's not that easy! After three years of marriage Jorge and I had a few serious talks about starting a family and all that came with it. I had already done research on my part about pregnancy do's and don'ts, info on labor, midwives and all that time thinking I was totally ready for when the time came. But until then, it was just an idea. It wasn't anything concrete I fully wrapped my head around. It was just a concept that wasn't set into motion yet, and as soon as we got close to our metaphorical "starting line" one thing came to mind..."oh my gosh, shit just got real". 

Every month as I stood there holding onto a pregnancy stick, it was a surreal moment that could change our lives forever! At this point, it still wasn't real. During these months I gradually understood the true reasons why I wanted to become a mom. 

I didn't become a mom just because it seemed like the natural thing to do. It wasn't because Jorge and I both talked about it years prior, or because we were married and financially stable. I didn't become a mom because I would regret it years down the road, or because I wouldn't have someone to take care of us when we're ninety years old (God willing). It wasn't because all my other friends or family were having babies, or because they were asking (and asking, and asking) when we were going to have a baby. No. 

I became a mom because I understood the value of what it's like to have unconditional love. I knew 100% in my heart that I'm married to the most wonderful husband who would make an amazing father. I knew that by creating such a perfectly beautiful human being together is a testament for our commitment and love for each other. Our marriage is as strong as ever, and we were always on the same page when it came to making huge life-changing decisions. I would've never agreed to bringing a child into this world had it been any different. 

I became a mom because I wanted to share my love by nurturing and caring for someone for the rest of my life. 

I became a mom because I believe in God, and believe that every single child is a blessing from above. Having a miracle like that, is like no other. 

Becoming a mom has changed my life for the better, and having Jorge beside me through all of this just makes me realize how much I love him, and how truly blessed we are. It's not about "playing house" and fulfilling a role. It's about really understanding the value of a child, and the most amazing role you can ever become. 

That's why I became a mom. 

-Heather Ortiz 


No comments:

Post a Comment